Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Queen's War



       “Don’t blame the sinner.” the pastor said with reverence. “Every single being of the human race has sinned at one time or another.  We must learn to forgive and cultivate peace.  Only then will we truly find the joy our heavenly father wants for each of us.  Let us pray…”




       We sat in a middle pew between our parents playing with the chess pieces of our game from home as the adults around us bowed their heads in prayer.  With a sideways smile to my little brother we followed suit, bowing our heads as well, fixing our most pious expressions on our amused faces.  It would never do to make a disturbance in church so Mama allowed us to bring the chess pieces with us so we could occupy ourselves, keep quiet, and stay out of mischief.  Even Mama secretly admitted that church could be a boring place for kids while the pastor attempted to get his point across to the congregation.

  

    “Amen” we all said in unison.  No one realized in the surrounding pews the drama that was playing out between the chess queens and their subjects.  They wove between the labyrinths of prayer books and hymnals taking the pawns, bishops, and knights by surprise.  The kings overlooked the action from above as the war commenced.  Strange how the queens were once dear friends and their battalions friendly comrades only moments before and now that the war had come they fought viciously and with vigor planning secret strategies at every turn.

      Our imaginations took us on so many adventures into the world of the chess queens, where everything was not as it seemed!! Within the sanctuary, on the wooden pews, the chess pieces seemed to come alive.  One time a knight tried to assassinate the rebel queen and was met with resistance, caught, and punished severally with instant death.   Several times in our exuberance we were greeted with the stern sideways glances of others.  We turned angelic faces in the direction of all which cast disapproving nods in our direction knowing Mama would be embarrassed if anyone complained.  If she was embarrassed there would be hell to pay and a long lecture to be had when we got home.   At least we weren’t causing a real ruckus.  Finally it was time for the closing hymns.   Interrupted in our play, we stood each clutching a queen in one hand as we sang the hymn boisterously while Mama hurriedly gathered the other pieces in a plastic bag and deposited it in her purse, all without ever missing a beat.   Stowed away and forced to get along, the chess pieces ceased their war and proclaimed peace would reign until next time.  Each chess queen winked resolving their differences and was friends once more.

_________________________________________________________________________________




This is my response for the Speakeasy weekly writing prompt. 
 This week, we were asked to write a response under 750 words (mine is 458) and: 

1. Use “Don’t blame the sinner” as the first line.
2. Make some kind of reference to the media prompt- a painting called 
The Chess Queens, by Muriel Streeter.

The challenge is open to everyone, so if you’re intrigued or inspired, write your response and link up!  Click the badge below to visit Speakeasy’s site.  
     

36 comments:

  1. I love the images you chose...where in the world did you find chess pieces re-enacting the flag raising at Mt Suribachi????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, I am so pleased you liked it!! Thank you for stopping by and for your lovely comments! ♥

      Delete
  2. I love the innocence of this piece. I can see this played out in every sanctuary every Sunday morning. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I am so pleased you enjoyed it. It was the actually the first idea that popped into my head. I always take a bag of small toys, crayons, paper, color books....a regular goody bag of things to do when I go to church because when my kids were little they were antsy withing 5 minutes. Things always went a lot better if they were occupied. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. I would have never thought of chess in church, but I love the "war" juxtaposed against the message of peace. How sad it is that what should be the most exciting message to every longing ear and heart comes across in the most boring and mundane fashion. Somehow, I think Jesus would have appreciated your game. :) Blessings, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, my son has always been fascinated with small figures. His favorite are the LEGO mini figures and he could be occupied for hours acting out and planning adventures with them...so that is where I got the idea. I think the "message" grows a lot more exciting as we age and really understand it all. When kids are little their attention spans just aren't that long. Still I think they absorb their surroundings regardless and take in more than we could ever think. I agree with you. I think Jesus would smile and be totally cool with it! Thank you for stopping by to read my little story and for your lovely comments! ♥

      Delete
  4. A little game of chess anywhere can sure make for a match, I always lose though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I usually lose too! I don't play it enough to really remember what all the pieces do or to be a really good strategist. Thank you so much for stopping by to read and for your lovely comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. That's a nice story. Loved the juxtaposition.

    I liked how you began the story and then connected all the dots till the queens were left in the hands. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. myriadrainbowhues, I am so pleased you enjoyed my little story! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. I like the way you made them friends who are compelled to be enemies during the game. Kind of how life plays itself out too. Say, in a personal vs business relationship :) Good work, Kathy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shailaja, it sure is!! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! I am so pleased you enjoyed my story. ♥

      Delete
  7. I like how you took us into the world of childrens imagination wandering while in church... great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aishasoasis, I am so pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. I liked the way you wove the escapades of the chess pieces through the kids...Loved it Kathy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nabanita, I am so pleased you liked my story! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  9. I always love the way you narrate your stories... beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rajlakshmi, I am so pleased you enjoy my stories! Thank you for stopping by and for your lovely comments! ♥

      Delete
  10. So fun how you let us go on a trip through a child's imagination yet narrated by what seems to be the adult version of the child. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanna, I am so pleased you liked it!! Thank you for stopping by and for your lovely comments! ♥

      Delete
  11. I think it was a very difficult prompt to pull off and you did it pretty well!

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richa, I am so pleased you liked my story. It seemed like the other people's entries were a lot darker and more inspired. I had fun with this one. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  12. Loved this one Kathy.. the innocence was touching.. :) I remembered the one time I ended up in a church in the middle of a prayer.. and was nervous like anything.. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vaisakh, I am so pleased you liked it! Thank you for stopping by and for your lovely comments! ♥

      Delete
  13. Wow Kathy, love the way you have woven in animated chess and child's play :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reshma, animated chess would be something to see! Thank you for stopping by! I am so pleased you enjoyed my little story. ♥

      Delete
  14. Those are lucky kids. I longed for something to entertain me when I went to church as a kid, but my parents were pretty strict ; )

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. psychochef, I always take a goody bag filled with things to occupy my kids in situations like this. It is just easier than dealing with them getting antsy. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  15. This made me smile because it made me remember church services of my youth. I didn't have chess pieces, but my grandma always made sure she had papers and pens. I could doodle for hours and she knew it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jannatwrites, my kids always like drawing and my son loves his LEGO mini figures. He could play with them for hours!! I just made the chess pieces work with the prompt and the story. I am so pleased you liked my little story. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  16. This is a great story, Kathy! There's nothing quite like the untamed imagination of children. Wonderful take on the prompts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, I am so pleased you enjoyed my story. This was kind of a tricky take but I think I pulled it off. Thank you so much for stopping by and making my day with your comments! ♥

      Delete
  17. Very cute and different take on the prompt:-)Loved the imagination here and how you took the reader through the minds of two little kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atreyee, I am so happy you liked my little story!! Thrilled really! Thank you so much for stopping in and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete
  18. Absolute fab and full of adventure, Kathy. Did Mama find out? hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vishalbheeroo, since Mama transported the pieces in her purse I think she had a clue! LOL I am so pleased you enjoyed my story. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comments! ♥

      Delete