Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I Can’t Sleep!!


     Today’s host for Blogfest 2012 is Susan at Today’s Working Woman.  The writing prompt for today is “When was the last time you couldn’t sleep and why?  What was the reason for not sleeping?  What did you do to overcome it?”


      I woke this morning in the center of the night having to pee.  The dogs followed me and sat with eyes glued on me as I went.  It is a good thing I have no problem going with an audience.  I ambled through the rest of the house turning on a light here then there to let the dogs out.  Anxious for the prompt for the day, I fired up my computer only to discover I had no internet connection.  “What the hell! Did I not pay the bill?”  I racked my brain.  It was surely possible.  I let the dogs back in with the cold wind whistling up my night gown.  A call to Comcast reveals there is a service outage in my area.  Well that is just lovely!!


       It is 4:19 in the morning and now thanks to cold breezes whistling up my parts I am wide awake with no internet.  Not a great way to start the day.  I hope they fix whatever is screwing up the works as soon as possible.  My brain tells me I still have a couple more hours to sleep, but here I am.  I decide to write my post so that when my internet is restored I can post it.  Seems like a good idea since I can’t sleep anyways.  Subconsciously I wonder if the theme for the day has jinxed me since it is all about insomnia.  What are the odds?  




        On the upside, I don’t have a migraine.  I am simply awake.  I can still remember the g0d awful headaches that woke me nightly for months.  Thinking they had to be migraines I would pop a pill prescribed for just that purpose and take my weary butt back to bed.  Since I have been diagnosed with hypertension and prescribed pills to force ,my blood pressure down to near normal range, I can happily say I haven’t had a mind blowing headache since.  The headaches were exchanged for chest pains.  The doctor increased my dosage not long ago, and thankfully even the chest pains are few and far between as long as I take those magic little pills on time.  It is a bitch getting old.  For what it is worth, I am following the microscopic diet the doctor gave me to a tee and hopefully getting smaller all around.  I don’t even bother weighing myself because I know that when I go back to the doctor only his scale will matter anyways.  That stupid scale always weighs on the heavy side.  Why be depressed that all this healthy food I am stuffing my face with is actually not helping if I don’t have too?  Better to prolong the inevitable for as long as I can!!


         A lot of times when I find I can not sleep it would seem to be because I am worried.  Maybe my kids are sick or the bills need paid and I have no clue whether there will be money to cover it.  Whatever the case the end result is ALWAYS the same, I am wide awake in the middle of the night wondering WHY. When I don’t write, I read, and sometimes that helps.  When my soul is especially troubled I will pull out my Bible, read some passages, and have a little chat with Je$us.  It can’t hurt and it usually calms my worries down to a dull roar so I can sleep.  


      If I wasn’t on this crazy diet, I would raid the refrigerator.  I still could.  No one would ever know, except me.  Damn it to hell that is the problem.  I would know and then guilt would overwhelm me that straying from my prescribed course would result in a heart attack or worse certain death.  A little dramatic perhaps, but not far from the mark considering the dire wake up call the doctor issued on my last visit when the EKG showed my arteries were already starting to clog.  I can not check out yet because I have signed up to blog the month away with NaBloPoMo and BlogFest 2012.  Besides, my kids would be screwed with no where to go and no one to watch them.  I have to reverse the effects of my gluttony.  Goodbye potatoes and corn!!!  Goodbye crackers and cheese!!   Parting is such sweet sorrow! 
  
        Amazing how much a person can ramble on at the butt crack of dawn when normal people are sleeping.  I wish Nickelback would beam into my room and sing me a lullaby.  Well that wouldn’t work because then I would be entirely too excited to sleep.    Hot damn!!  Set off flares and firecrackers and serve pink lemonade!!  My internet is restored!  Thank G0d and sunny Je$us that I can now post this little rambling of insomnia right on time for today’s challenge.  I yawn long and deep.  Writing this bit of nonsense seems to have done the trick.  I am off to bed for a couple more precious hours of blissful sleep until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.


31 comments:

  1. WOW, love your post. Definitely the best of the day so far. No wonder you can't sleep.... you mind is so active, so creative and so energetic. Love all the pics, graphics and the music.
    Now go to sleep. So you are fit for your post when I host in a couple of days.

    Well done
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuart, I am so pleased you enjoyed my silly rambling. It seemed appropriate for this prompt since I was up anyways. :D Thank you for stopping by and for your wonderful comments. I went back to sleep and over slept. Just about had a coronary when I woke at 8 and realized my alarm hadn't went off and the kids had to be at the bus stop in 15 minutes. LOL Got them both safely to school, came home took a shower, ate my microscopic breakfast, took my blood pressure pill, and now I am ready to rock and roll again. LOL

      Delete
  2. lol. Well, you get a lot of writing done at 4am....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, it kind of worked considering the prompt today! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  3. Ha ha ha ha I love your blog name and I loved this little rambling you took us through.........and for some funny reason I am yawning and want to take a nap too....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogwati Gee, for some reason I find that hysterical! LMAO Thank you for stopping by to read and for allowing me to put you back to sleep. LOL ♥

      Delete
  4. Insomnia, sweet insomnia....I know it well....the pain in the backside that it is!

    It is strange that the creative side wakes up at such peculiar hours and (in your case especially) produces something so brilliant to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loki-Lou, Wow, thank you for the compliment. To think I achieved brilliance without even trying. LOL I will try not to let it go to my head, but I will tell you it just makes my day!! Doing a little dance! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  5. Somehow I thought you wrote the migraines gently woke you. That thought startled me awake, even though I, too, awakened during the 4 am hour! Happy resting now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, well now that you mention it, migraines usually do gently wake me. I am certainly not startled awake with them like the ghost of bloody Christmas past just sneaked up on me and grabbed me in the a$$. I wake up, and there it is! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  6. Love your 'rambling', Kathy. If I wrote anything at 4am it would be complete gibberish. I am so NOT a morning person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I am so pleased you enjoyed it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments! ♥

      Delete
  7. Ramble on, my friend, you're so funny even at 4 am in the morning. You have such a way of making even serious things like your illness seem funny. Stay on that diet, lady. We want you around for aeons to come! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne, I have been following that crazy diet to the letter. It hasn't been too hard. I don't force the rest of my family to follow it though. I still make them what they want to eat and make me what I have to eat. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  8. I do believe your ramblings turn out to be your best work! lol Makes me think your creative side just takes over and you produce the most fun to read and laugh with blogs!
    Oddly enough, I was just going to bed at 4 a.m. I didn't feel at all sleepy at my usual bedtime so I read for a couple hours. Did the trick and I slept until 10 a.m. Mike got up about 20 minutes after I hit the pillow! It was just an insomniac kind of night apparently.

    Really love this! Now take a nap. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I am pleased you enjoyed it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments. Believe me a nap would sound really good right now! ♥

      Delete
  9. I'm glad they figured out the source of your migraines.

    And a lot of creativity happens in the middle of the night--for many writers.

    Great post Kathy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I am so glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  10. I hope you get some sleep tonite! how long was it till your internet was restored? If you want you can email me that diet you are on. I'd like to see if it's something I could realistically do. I'm already catatonic at the thought of giving up corn and cheese...

    queenbead@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, the internet wasn't off long thankfully. I was horrified to give up corn and cheese too. Bread was hard to say goodbye to as well. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments! ♥

      Delete
  11. I wake at all hours...doesn't matter when I go to sleep, I wake up every 2-3 hours. I'd work on the computer too, but then I would have to move my entire work space downstairs! Glad you were able to finish your post at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I can't say I blame you. Most of the time I can sleep through the night. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  12. It must be a parent thing ... Sometimes when I worry about someone or kids or something ... it will keep me awake too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journey of Life, I agree. Becoming a parent does that to a person. If your baby is sick, no matter how old they get, or even if they happen to sleep I still am up fretting over them. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  13. No internet when you are fired to go is sad.Liked your sense of humor and enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sulekkha, I am so pleased you enjoyed my post! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments.

      Delete
  14. It is so true and funny how insomnia triggers a frenetic mind dump in the middle of the night. The fact that you were able to capture and articulate those thoughts is a gift.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyndagrace, thank you for that lovely comment and compliment. I will store that away for when I am feeling low to light up my day with happiness. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  15. Love how honest you are! If it were me, writing all of this down would have made me collapse on the sofa wishing the alarm would never go off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Al, LOL, well that is me all over. I tend to tell it just how it is!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  16. Great post! I love your open, honest writing. Here's to hoping your health is better and your parts don't get windy again, any time soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete