Monday, September 3, 2012

The First Thing I See



     As I sit at my computer the one thing that draws my attention the most is the china cupboard that I inherited from my parents.  Hand carved and crafted, the antique wooden cabinet with two doors holds some of my most precious treasures.  From flow blue dishes to an assortment of china cats, china dolls, figurines, and a scale model of a truck similar to one my Dad drove complete with low boy trailer and a heavy machinery load like he once hauled, my cabinet is filled with things that remind me of my parents, the places I have been and things I have seen.  Within it's ornately carved wood framed  plate glass doors, lies my most prized treasures.

 



       The drawers found in the bottom of the cabinet are filled to overflowing with my children's first drawings, report cards,  my baby books, old photos, and other assorted memorabilia from my life that I can't bring myself to discard.  Just as important are the treasures that are gathered on top from the anniversary clock to the china dolls, pictures of my children, gifts from Christmas's past, to the egg carton spider my son crafted last Halloween in kindergarten.

       The cupboard reminds me of the home where I grew up, my parent's, my life with my husband, and the precious moments of my kids lives.  The cupboard and it's contents symbolize and display all that I hold most dear.  As long as I draw breath the cupboard and it's treasures will hold a special place in my heart and have a place in my home where it can be admired, treasured, and I can remember.


14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing such an intimate and important part of you with us. I really enjoyed seeing that glimpse into your heart. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!!

      Delete
  2. I love this Janice.. Just looking at the photo and reading about all of your treasures makes me feel like I am "home.." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magical Mystical Mimi, thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!!

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of the shelf my mother-in-law had. I got married after she had passed away and I found this whole treasure of her memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne, my china cupboard is certainly full of memories! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  4. that's great to have all that memorabilia in one place like that. And a mixing of the generations, wiht your own children's drawings in the drawers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I have memorabilia throughout my whole house. When I was growing up those drawers housed my sister's and my baby books, school papers, greeting cards, and school pictures. I have carried on that tradition with my own kids. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes our memories are just something ... as we gazed at something around the house, different memory would be triggered and yes, you definitely got a lot of treasures there --treasures that filled with fond memories.

    Take care, kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journey of Life, it is something I have always felt really blessed to have. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments.

      Delete
  6. I love curios, souvenirs and stuff. They all mean so much and bring back a flood of memories from just looking at each piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, my old house had a curio built in the wall. I miss that one because I was able to put out a lot more stuff. When I moved to the place we live now there was only this one cupboard. I think things like this add character to a home. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments!

      Delete
  7. I think it's wonderful that looking at something in your home can bring such memories and good feelings. As you know, I'm a purger so my house is not filled with old things with special meaning, though I do have a few things that either are useful or just too precious to put away or hide and they are out in sight or in use, as the case may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I have always been more of a pack rat unfortunately. LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your comments.

      Delete