Sunday, February 26, 2012

Gratitude- BFF 170


      Gratitude is an attribute I have tried to instill in both of my children from birth.  As important as it is to say “please” and “thank you”, it is equally important to be grateful for all we receive regardless how small a gesture it is.  To thank others for their time, their gifts, and their thoughtfulness is a given.  Thanking G0d for blessings received is a must.


  
     I have stood back and watched the effects not teaching kids about gratitude can have.  The kid grows up to be a rude, obnoxious a$$hole who thinks they are entitled to things and someone’s admiration simply because of who they are.  They would have been better taught to expect nothing and celebrate everything.   I can name names of people who don’t care enough about their kids to instill a sense of gratitude, but I won’t.  Their kids are the epitome of what I described above and I have no use for them and especially don’t want my kids rubbing elbows with them in case their bad example rubs off.  Sorry folks, it isn’t just because they are teenagers.  It is because you didn’t care enough to teach them how to act or set a good example yourself. 



       My kids are not allowed to act in such a fashion.  As long as I have breath in my body and have anything to say about it, that behavior will not be tolerated, ever.  They both know it too.  They know my attitude which is I don’t have to do anything except pay taxes and die, anything above and beyond that they should be grateful for.  Although they are far from perfect, 99% of the time they are grateful, polite, and good kids.  They have integrity and care about others.  They understand the need to earn respect and the value of the almighty dollar.  They also understand that time spent together is a far more precious commodity than stuff will ever be.  If you can’t be grateful at home, you sure aren’t going to be gracious elsewhere.


         As far as my own gratitude goes, I have a lot to be grateful for.  I am grateful for each and every person who reads what I write.  For those that leave comments, you are a blessing that brings a smile to my face and warms my heart.  I love that you wave both hands, jump up and say by leaving a comment “I was here!”   I am grateful to have two smart, healthy, well adjusted kids who my life wouldn’t be complete without.  I am grateful for my husband who sacrifices precious time with all of us to be on the road and make a living.  I am grateful to him for allowing me to stay home with our kids and hold down the fort.   I am grateful each day for the roof over my head, the bills we are able to pay, the food on the table, and the clothes on my back.  Without G0d, nothing would be possible and I count my many blessings everyday. 


        There is ALWAYS something or someone to appreciate no matter how bad things seem.  I have a knack for finding the sunshine.  Maybe today I can’t, but maybe tomorrow I can.  Life can be hard, but life is a lot better when a person can find a reason for being glad much like Pollyanna did until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife. 
          
       
       

14 comments:

  1. Very nice. Children need that kind of support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November Rain, thank you! I have done the best I can with them and I have reaped the rewards in their behavior. There are times when they make me want to pull out my hair, but if their weren't they wouldn't be normal kids. I love them regardless. :D Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Darlene, all a person can do is the best that they can, and that is all I can do. Thank you for the vote of confidence and for stopping in to read and comment!!

      Delete
  3. Kathy, I was recently awarded the Liebster Award for my photography blog. I would like to pass that honour on to you too. You can pick up your badge at Total Image Photography. http://totalimagephotography.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November Rain, I am honored!! Thank you for thinking of me!

      Delete
  4. You are just such a dedicated mom. I love reading about your good results and also laughing at the sometimes not such good results! LOL I know parenting basically alone is a tough road and you seems to be keeping the rubber between the lines pretty darned well. I'm grateful for that and for having you in my life. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, so far so good. I am so grateful that you are in my life too. You never fail to make me smile!! I do the best I can, and often I feel that I fall short. I know my kids aren't perfect, but they are pretty great kids. Thank you for stopping by to read, comment, and give me that dose of "Jo pep talk" that I have come to look forward to. The world wouldn't be the same without you.

      Delete
  5. "Thanking G0d for blessings received is a must"... this i agree 100%... for without Him, there is nothing. Yahweh bless.
    http://trunklocker.blogspot.com/2012/02/so-many-things-to-celebrate.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph, you are so right!! Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  6. Such a good post! None of us are perfect, all we can od is our best :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, exactly! I always tell my kids that they don't have to be perfect. As long as they do their best and have fun doing it, that is all that matters. If they just do that and enjoy life everything else will fall into place. Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  7. Yes, Kathy, you truly are a good mom. And,I wholeheartedly agree with your post! It is the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, thank you! I do the best I can. I fret and worry a lot which accounts for the gray hairs I recently colored back to a dark brown. I rarely am out around other people's kids, but when the occasion does arise, I am often appalled. Then I look at my own and tell them, you better never do that!!! At this point my oldest is appalled right along with me. She is a chip off the old block, almost a miniature version of myself which is right down scary! LOL Thank you for stopping by to read and for your kind comments. I greatly appreciate them!

      Delete